Kevin D Walter, MD
- Program director, Pediatric and Adolescent Sports Medicine, Children's Wisconsin
- Associate professor, the Medical College of Wisconsin
Accepting new patients
Dr. Walter enjoys caring for young athletes from elementary school through college (ages 8-22). He involves the athlete and their family in the decision making process, with the goal of keeping people active and healthy, and returning to play as quickly and safely as possible.
Dr. Walter has been a member of the Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association (WIAA) Sports Medicine Advisory Committee since 2006, where he has helped to create guidelines for the safe participation of Wisconsin’s high school athletes. He was appointed to the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Sports Medicine Advisory Committee, serving a four year term from 2008-2012. He is a fellow of the American Academy of Pediatrics and an active member of the Council on Sports Medicine and Fitness. He is an active member of the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine and the American College of Sports Medicine. Dr. Walter was appointed to the National Academy of Sciences Institute of Medicine committee on Sport-related Concussion in Youth.
Dr. Walter has authored many articles on sports injuries in children and concussions in the young athlete. Dr. Walter has helped create The Sports Concussion Program in collaboration with Children’s Wisconsin, the Medical College of Wisconsin, and Froedtert Hospital.
Dr. Walter in the news...
- Milwaukee Doctors on Front Lines of Concussion Research (WUWM | July 28, 2014)
- Ask the Doctor: Need to know information regarding kids and concussions (OnMilwaukee | June 16, 2014)
- Parents, players try to make sense of helmet products (USA Today | May 15, 2014)
- Pediatrics, Sports Medicine
Areas of Interest
- Sports medicine
- Concussion management
- Overuse conditions
- Sprains and strains
- Throwing injuries
Education and Awards
- 1998, University of Illinois (Chicago, IL), MD
- 2002, Medical College of Wisconsin - Pediatric Chief Resident
- 2001, Medical College of Wisconsin - Pediatrics
- 2004, Akron Childrens Hospital (Akron, OH) - Pediatric Sports Medicine and Fitness
- 2018 Milwaukee Magazine Top Doctors
- 2013 Top Rated Doctors, M Magazine
- 2011 America’s Most Compassionate Doctors, MDx Medical, Inc.
- 2010 Pediatric Residency Honorary Pediatrician of the Year, Medical College of Wisconsin
- 2010 Best Two Minute Drill Presentation: AMSSM Annual Meeting
- 2010-2011 Parents’ Top Choice Award, Wisconsin Pediatric Physicians
- 2009 Best Milwaukee Pediatrician, Nikelodeon Parents’ Pick Award
- 2009 40 under 40, Milwaukee Business Journal
Research and publications
Youth sports specialization
- Sports injuries in the young athlete
- Injury prevention
- The Council on Sports Medicine and Fitness, Sport-Related Concussion in Children and Adolescents
- Effect of Language on baseline Concussion Screening Tests in Professional Baseball Players
Ratings and Reviews
Question rating breakdown