Kevin D Walter, MD
- Program director, Pediatric and Adolescent Sports Medicine, Children's Wisconsin
- Medical director, Sports Physical Therapy, Children's Wisconsin
- Associate fellowship director, Primary Care Sports Medicine, the Medical College of Wisconsin
- Associate professor, the Medical College of Wisconsin
Accepting new patients
Dr. Walter enjoys caring for young athletes from elementary school through college (ages 8-22). He involves the athlete and their family in the decision making process with the goal of keeping people active and healthy while returning to play as quickly and safely as possible. Dr. Walter helped create the Sports Medicine and Sports Concussion programs at Children's Wisconsin.
Dr. Walter is the chair of the Wisconsin Interscholastic Athletic Association (WIAA) Sports Medicine Advisory Committee, where he has served as a member since 2005. He was appointed to a four year term with the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Sports Medicine Advisory Committee from 2008-2012, and has returned since that time as a consultant to work on several projects. He was also appointed to the National Academy of Sciences committee on Sport-related Concussion in Youth, serving as a primary author on their landmark report.
Dr. Walter is a member of the American Academy of Pediatrics, Council on Sports Medicine and Fitness, where he was elected to the Executive Committee in 2019. He is also an active member of the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine, American College of Sports Medicine, and Pediatric Research in Sports Medicine national organizations. He has published numerous research articles and textbook chapters on Sports Medicine and Concussion, and he is often invited to speak at regional and national medical education meetings on those topics.
Dr. Walter is an Associate Medical Consultant for the Green Bay Packers. He is the team physician for Waukesha South High School. Dr. Walter works as a Lead Unaffiliated Neurotraumatic Consultant for the National Football League. He also works with the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee School of Athletic Training. He is often involved with advocacy and policy efforts to improve safety, access, and guidelines for young athletes at the regional, state and national levels.
If you are interested in contacting Dr. Walter for presenting at your event, media or sports coverage please fill out this form.
- Pediatrics, Sports Medicine
Areas of Interest
- Sports medicine
- Concussion management
- Overuse conditions
- Sprains and strains
- Throwing injuries
Education and Awards
- 1998, University of Illinois (Chicago, IL), MD
- 2002, Medical College of Wisconsin - Pediatric Chief Resident
- 2001, Medical College of Wisconsin - Pediatrics
- 2004, Akron Childrens Hospital (Akron, OH) - Pediatric Sports Medicine and Fitness
- Milwaukee Magazine Top Doctors
- MKELifestyle Magazine Top Doctors
- Castle Connolly Top Doctors
- American Academy of Pediatrics Special Achievement Award, 2016, 2018
- Parent's Top Choice Award, Wisconsin Pediatric Physician, 2010, 2011
- 40 Under 40, Milwaukee Business Journal, 2009
- Numerous teaching and academic awards
Research and publications
Youth sports specialization
- Sports injuries in the young athlete
- Injury prevention
- Adaptive athletics
Ratings and Reviews
Question rating breakdown