Your childs health care team CHW- Fox Valley (119301)

Key points below

Children’s Wisconsin Hospital – Fox Valley

Who are all these people?

It can be very hard to sort out all of the people in the hospital when you’re worried about your child.  There will be many staff caring for your child.  Most will have different roles.  All staff, students and volunteers wear a hospital Identification badge.  Feel free to ask people their names and roles as needed.  

You may questions about your child’s care.  Be sure to ask any questions that you have about your child’s care or condition.  As you think of questions, write them down so you remember to ask them later.

The medical care team

Attending or staff physician: This doctor who is responsible for your child’s medical care.  This doctor always leads your child’s medical team and is in charge of the fellows, residents and medical students on the team.  
The attending physician could be a specialist, such as a surgeon, gastroenterologist or neurologist.  This will depend on your child’s condition or needs.  
This doctor could be your own private doctor or a doctor you meet for the first time at the hospital.
Primary Care Physician (PCP): This might be your child’s pediatrician or a family doctor.  Your child’s PCP may act as your child’s attending while they are in the hospital.    
Hospitalist:  These doctors specialize in caring for children in the hospital. They may be the attending doctor for your child while they are in the hospital.  They may be consulted if a specialist is the attending doctor.  
Neonatologist: This doctor is a specialist in newborn care.  They mostly care for babies in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.  They may also be the attending doctor. 
Fellow:  A fellow is done with medical school and a general residency.  They have more training that is focused in a certain area.  This might be allergy, cardiology, or other area.  Not every patient will be seen by a fellow.
Resident or Intern:  Residents are doctors who have finished medical school.  Residents do this for 3 to 5 years.  They are called senior residents when they are in their third or last year.  An intern is a first year resident.

Other health care team members

Parents:  You know your child better than anyone.  You are the most important member of your child’s team.   
Nurse: The Registered Nurse (RN) plans and gives nursing care to your child.  They can get in touch with every other team member.  They answer questions and help families get the right resources, as needed.
Health Unit Coordinator: A Health Unit Coordinator (HUC) is responsible for registering your child on admission.  They may verify your insurance information. 
Advanced Practice Nurse (APN) or Pediatric Nurse Practitioner (PNP):  These nurses have advanced educations.  They specialize in an area of nursing.  An APN may do assessments, manage your child’s care and write prescriptions under the supervision of a doctor.  They also support the nursing staff through education. The APN’s can help identify resources in the hospital and community for patients and families.   
Care Manager. This is a nurse who may help you understand your insurance coverage. They may also help arrange home care equipment and services. They are normally available in person Monday through Friday during business hours.
Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA): This is a nursing assistant who works closely with the nurse to care for your child.  Not every child will have a CNA on every shift.  It depends on the needs of your child and the staff on the unit. 
Child Life Specialists:  A specialist who helps children and families cope with the stress of being in the hospital.  They do this with play, imagery and distraction. 
Dietitian:  This team member provides help with nutrition.  They can also help with meal plans.
Occupational Therapist:  The team member that helps children learn daily living skills such as eating and getting dressed.  They also provide treatment that helps children develop to their fullest potential.
Pharmacist:   The pharmacist is an expert in the use of medicines. They prepare your child’s medicines.
Physical Therapist:  The team member who helps children with their physical activity.  This helps each child to function at their highest physical level.
Radiology Technician:  A person who takes your child’s X-rays or scans (CT, MRI).
Respiratory Care Practitioner (RCP):  A specialist who treats children who have breathing problems.
Social Worker: The team member who helps with the physical and emotional well-being of children and their families.   
Speech Language Pathologist. The team member that helps children in their communication and feeding/swallowing activities.
Chaplain:  The Chaplain provides spiritual guidance to children and families.

For other health and wellness information, check out this resource: