Becoming an adult (1869)

Key points below

When teens become adults, they have new health care needs.  Finding and using adult health care will take a few steps.

Where to go for health care

Paying for health care 

It is important to always have health insurance to help pay for your healthcare needs. Make sure you understand your insurance.

More resources for people with disabilities

Katie Beckett Waiver: If you have insurance through the Katie Beckett Waiver it will end when you turn 19 years old.  Apply for insurance through one of the Medicaid programs. You will get a letter about what to do next. 

Health benefits for workers with disabilities: Medical Assistance Purchase Plan (MAPP) allows people with disabilities who are working, or want to work, to get insurance through the Wisconsin Medicaid Program. You may have to pay for it.  It will depend on how much money you make.  Search ‘MAPP WI’ online for more information.  

Supplemental Security Income (SSI):  Persons with disabilities may be able to get SSI.  Apply or reapply in the month you turn 18 years old.  Do not do it any earlier or your parents’ income will be counted.  To start the process call Social Security Administration (SSA) at 1-800-772-1213.  You can also visit your local SSA office.  Ask your social worker if you need help.

Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC): Your local ADRC is the best place to find helpful resources.  They can help with adult services you might need like:

Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security

For information about your county’s ADRC, go to  

Education, Training and Employment

If you have an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) or a 504 plan you can stay in school until you:

earn enough credits to graduate or
turn 21 years old.

Before you leave high school, talk to your vocation or transition coordinator at your school. They can help you make a plan for your future. Your local Department of Workforce Development (DWD) can also help. For information go to  

If you are getting Medicaid and also start to work, it is very important to find out how much you can earn and still keep your benefits. Talk with your assigned caseworker.

Ticket to Work (Work Incentive Improvement Act) is a program for people with disabilities who work. It may let you keep your Medicaid benefits if you cannot get health insurance from your job.  You may have to pay for Medicaid.  For more information call 1-608-261-0050.