Meatal stenosis (2122)

Key points below

What is Meatal stenosis?

The opening on the penis where the urine comes out is called the meatus. When the opening narrows it is called meatal stenosis.  This problem may affect the urine stream.  Your son may:

How is it treated? 

The opening on the penis is made larger.  This procedure is called a meatotomy.

What will happen in the office?

1. A numbing cream will be put on the penis with plastic wrap or Tegaderm®. This is done in the office 30 to 60 minutes before the procedure.    

2. You can help your child pick out one of our big books. This will be used to distract your child during the procedure.  It also keeps him from seeing the work area.  You will need to help your child hold the book and hold his hands during the procedure.

How do I care for my child after the procedure?

1. The first few times after your son urinates, he may have some mild pain or discomfort.  The best way to help the pain is to keep his urine watery (dilute).  Give your son a lot of fluids like water, fruit juice or Kool-aid®.  You may give your child Tylenol® as needed.

2. If 8 to 10 hours pass and your son has not urinated, put him in a tub of warm water.  Normally the warm water will relax him enough to urinate in the tub. 

3. For 2-3 days there may be a few drops of blood on your son’s diaper or underwear. He may also have a little spraying of urine for a few days until the swelling goes down and the opening heals.  These are both normal.

4. You may be given ointment to use at home.  Use it 2 times a day for 3 to 5 days.  Gently put the tip of the tube into the opening of the penis and squeeze a small amount of ointment in the opening.  This will help keep the opening in the penis open while it heals.

5. Your child may go back to normal activities the day after the procedure.

Pediatric Urology:

Monday – Friday 8:00am – 4:30 pm - (414) 266-3794
Monday – Friday 9:30pm – 8:00am and weekends - (414) 266-2000 ask for the Urology Resident on call  


Call your child’s doctor, nurse, or clinic if you have any questions or concerns or if your child has special health care needs that were not covered by this information.