In this section
Breast milk pumping
Medela Symphony® electric breast pumps are available for mothers to use in the all inpatient units in the hospital. Please ask your baby’s nurse for a breast pump kit, milk containers, breast milk labels, dish soap and a wash basin or other supplies for pumping. The Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) has Symphony breast pumps in each patient room.
Please clean the pump before and after use.
- Wash your hands
- Glove your hands
- Wipe all surfaces clean with a hospital disinfectant wipe you will find in each room
Breast pumps and lactation rooms are available in other areas of the hospital for family or visitors. You must have a Symphony breast pump kit to use the Symphony breast pump. If your child is a patient, ask your child’s nurse for a breast pump kit. If not, these can be purchased at the Skywalk Pharmacy located on the 2nd floor skywalk near the information desk. Please call ahead for hours and availability at (414) 266-1893.
Children’s Wisconsin lactation rooms
- Children’s Clinics Building
- 2 lactation rooms with Symphony breast pumps, located behind the information desk
- Surgical Family Waiting Lounge
- A lactation room with a Symphony breast pump; ask the attendant at the desk for help or for supplies
- Children’s Corporate Center
- 2 lactation rooms with Symphony breast pumps on the 1st floor near the Security Office
Breast pumps at Ronald McDonald House
Ronald McDonald House has a lactation room with a comfortable chair, a Symphony breast pump, and sanitary wipes for cleaning the pump. Please bring your Symphony breast pump kit. Many mothers keep their personal breast pump in their room and store breast milk in the room refrigerator after pumping. Due to temperature fluctuations, we recommend you do not store breast milk in the very small freezer compartment in these refrigerators. Please bring all fresh breast milk to the hospital every day for refrigeration or freezing.
Resources for pumping breast milk
- Medela Symphony breast pump instructional video
- Choosing your personal fit breast shield size
- Breast shield fitting video
- Hands-on pumping video
- Maximizing milk production with hands on pumping
- Breastfeeding:Breast milk pumping guidelines (English)
- Breast milk pumping guidelines (Spanish)
- Breast milk:Labeling, heating, mixing, and storing breast milk in the hospital (English)
- Labeling, heating, mixing, and storing breast milk in the hospital(Spanish)
- Breast milk: Bringing it to and from the hospital (English)
- Bringing it to and from the hospital (Spanish)
- Breast milk: Collection and storage for home use (English)
- Collection and storage for home use (Spanish)
For more information or to request breastfeeding support from our lactation team at Children's Wisconsin in Milwaukee, call:
For more information or to request breastfeeding support from our lactation team at Children's Wisconsin in Neenah, call: