In this section
When you have learned the care, you will be able to:
- Protect the skin around the tube
- Put on a dressing and secure the tube
- Feed your child with or without the use of the tube
- Give medicines through the tube
- Troubleshoot problems
- Decide when to contact your child’s doctor or nurse
This information may be hard to understand at first. Take your time; it will become easier with practice. Your child’s nurse will show you how to take care of the tube and will answer your questions. Before you go home, a discharge planning nurse will meet with you to help plan your child’s care and order supplies. A dietician will meet with you to go over your child’s feeding routine.
Your supplies will need to be ordered from a Durable Medical Equipment home care supplier (also called a DME company).
When your child is discharged from the hospital with a new tube, supplies will be ordered for you by the integrated case manager or discharge planner. After the initial order, the parent/legal guardian is responsible for reordering supplies.