Jennifer Niskala Apps, PhD
- Neuropsychologist, Children's Wisconsin
- Associate professor, the Medical College of Wisconsin
The identification and management of head injury in developing children and adolescents is an evolving and complex science. Dr. Apps believes in working with parents and children together, ensuring the entire family understands the child’s recovery process. Any event that disturbs the development of a child or teen has wide reaching impact, and she attempts to provide comprehensive assessment and treatment planning that addresses a child’s needs across all environments, to ensure whole recovery.
Neuropsychology can provide vital information to better understand a child’s development and skills, and the impact those have on their daily functioning. Neuropsychological assessment in the context of neurological injury, such as mild traumatic brain injury, assists with treatment planning and returning a child to full functioning.
Areas of Interest
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Developmental delays
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Psychological Complications of Chronic Illness
- Traumatic brain injury
- Learning difficulties
Education and Awards
- 1998, University of Texas (Dallas, TX), PhD
Research and publications
- From the Exceptional to the Common Place.
- Pediatric and Adolescent Concussion: Diagnosis, Management, and Outcomes. Springer Publishers. (2012).
- Encyclopedia of Clinical Neuropsychology.
- A Concise Guide for Medical Students, Residents, and Medical Practitioners (2013).
- Exhibition submission for 2013 American Academy of Pediatrics National Conference, Section on Emergency Medicine.