Laurel M Bear, MD
Accepting new patients
Dr. Bear has lead the Neonatal Developmental Follow-up program at Children’s Wisconsin since 1998. She also established the Herma Heart Center Developmental Follow-up program in 2006. This program is the first in the nation to routinely follow the development of infants with complex congenital heart disease who have had surgery in the first year of life.
The programs utilize a team approach when evaluating patients. Team members include nursing, physical, occupational and speech therapy. Her philosophy is to build on the strengths of each patient and support the family as they strive to optimize each child’s development.
Areas of Interest
- Neonatal developmental follow up
- Special needs
- Developmental follow-up program
Education and Awards
- 1984, Medical College of Wisconsin, MD
- 1987, Medical College of Wisconsin - Pediatrics
- 2012: UWM Distinguished Alumni award
- 2013: Woman of Influence award in innovation/medicine from the Milwaukee Business Journal
Research and publications
- The Extremely Low Birth Weight Infant Follow-up Project: Vermont Oxford Network
- Developmental Outcomes in Infants with Complex Congenital Heart Disease