In this section
Breastfeeding support in our Milwaukee hospital
Our lactation team provides evidence-based care based on extensive experience working with medically fragile children and their mothers. Our team is comprised of International Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC, RN), specializing in evidence-based clinical management of breastfeeding, and Certified Lactation Counselors (CLC, RN), who provide additional assistance to breastfeeding families.
Our lactation management team has been awarded with the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners® (IBLCE) and the International Lactation Consultant Association® (ILCA) IBCLC Care Award for excellence in lactation care, which recognizes organizations that have recently completed extensive activities that help protect, promote, and support breastfeeding.
The lactation management team provides a full range of services, including:
- Inpatient and outpatient lactation consultation
- Prenatal appointments for families being seen through the Fetal Concerns Center
- Hospital-grade electric breast pumps for use at the baby’s bedside or in private pumping areas
- Milk collection and storage supplies
- Private breast pumping rooms and specialized freezers for milk storage
- Milk kitchen technicians specially trained in handling breast milk for infants in our neonatal intensive care unit (NICU), cardiac intensive care unit (CICU), and other units that have a high number of infants. Special procedures are followed to prepare, mix and label each feeding for your baby.
Tour of Children's Wisconsin's milk kitchenWatch this behind-the-scenes tour of our milk kitchen to learn how this unique resource is helping breastfeeding mothers and babies in our NICU.
- Benefits of breastfeeding
- Breastfeeding basics
- Breastfeeding your hospitalized child
- Breast milk pumping
- Common breastfeeding concerns
- Additional breastfeeding resources
Additional breastfeeding resources can be found on our blog.