In this section
Private nurse interview questions
- How long have you been a nurse?
- Do you have pediatric nursing experience? Have you ever worked with infants or children?
- Do you have experience with home care?
- What do you like about being a home care nurse? Why are you interested in home care?
- What is your biggest challenge with being a home care nurse?
- Do you have other job or school obligations?
- What hours are you available to work with my child? Which days of the week?
- How much flexibility do you have? Could you potentially be available on short notice if I have another nurse cancel a shift?
- When could you start?
- Do you have reliable transportation?
- If your own child is sick, do you have back-up child care options?
- Are you certified in the care of a child with a tracheostomy and home ventilator?
- Can you provide me with references from other parents whose children you have cared for?
- If you have never done home care, do you have other work references?
- Will you be able to accompany my child to physician appointments? To school?
- Are you willing to case manage?
- What is the best way to contact you?
- What questions do you have for me?
Additional questions when interviewing a nursing agency:
- Does your company guarantee shift coverage?
- Will I be able to have the nurses that I want? May I interview individual nurses before assigning them to my child's case?
- Who is available during and after business hours should I have questions or concerns?
- What happens if I do not want a nurse to return to my home because of personality conflict or problems with the nursing care?
- Will I be expected to train nurses in the care of my child?
Questions for a nurse's references:
- How long have you known_______________?
- What is your relationship to this nurse?
- What do you see as his/her strengths?
- What are some of his/her weaknesses or limitations?
- Would you recommend this nurse?
- Would you like to add anything?
To request an appointment or have questions, please call:
Pulmonary care at Children's Wisconsin is ranked among the best in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.