In this section
For medical professionals
Our position as a leader in pediatric liver transplantation is marked by a number of pioneering efforts, including Wisconsin's first:
- Pediatric living donor liver transplant (1999)
- Pediatric combined liver and heart transplant (2012)
- Pediatric in situ split liver transplant (2013)
Learn more about our program and team by viewing our liver transplant referral guide.
Referrals at Children's
Children's liver transplant program accepts referrals and consultation by phone.
- For consults, referrals, and transport, call our Physician Call Center at (414) 266-2460 or toll-free at (800) 266-0366.
- For outpatient specialty appointments, call the transplant coordinators at (414) 266-1579.
Liver transplant fellowships at Children's
Children's offers fellowship opportunities in Liver Transplantation and in Gastroenterology.
Continuing medical education at Children's
Children's hosts Best Practices in Pediatrics CME conferences. On-demand archived webcasts of Practical Pediatrics Grand Rounds. Grand Rounds events and Grand Rounds videos. Children's participates in additional conferences and training programs and publishes an online newsletter, Pediatric Rounds. The joint transplant programs of Children's Wisconsin, Froedtert Hospital, Medical College, and the Blood Center of Wisconsin hold an annual Transplant Research Retreat.
Research at Children's
Children's is involved in multiple research studies and clinical trials related to pediatric liver transplantation. These studies include:
- Studies in Pediatric Liver Transplantation (SPLIT) – a national database of pediatric liver transplant outcomes
- Liver Disease and Liver Transplant Database Study
- Quality of Life and Vulnerability in Pediatric Solid Organ Transplant Recipients
- Parents of Pediatric Solid Organ transplant Recipients: Transition to Home and Chronic Illness Care
Quality at Children's
Our ongoing dedication to improving quality in our liver transplant program includes the following organized efforts:
- Weekly inpatient review & hand-off of care
- Weekly patient & program review
- Monthly interdisciplinary liver transplant meetings
- Ad hoc liver transplant committee
- Solid organ transplant committee
Children's pursuit of excellence has led us to achieve a number of concrete quality improvements in the last year:
- Development and implementation of an acute hepatic failure protocol, resulting in standardization of evaluation and treatment.
- Ongoing mock liver transplants to constantly improve team performance.
- Revised ABO certification at time of transplant form.
- Implementation of electronic medical records.
- Implementation of streamlined process to audit patient charts for CMS and UNOS compliance regulation.
- Review of every case by multidisciplinary team.
- Revision of the ICU and acute care rounding process.
Staffed 24 hours a day.
- Refer a patient
- Discuss a case
- Arrange a transport
- Direct admission
Toll-free: (800) 266-0366