Kathleen R Beckmann, DO
Dr. Beckmann is a board certified pediatric emergency physician who sees patients in the emergency room at Children’s Wisconsin. She has a special interest in sick/injured/ and traumatized children and in the adolescent population.
Her research has focused on HIV testing in the emergency department and in sexual history taking and STI testing in the adolescent population in the EDTC. She has also worked on the development of a web based medical record for Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs that would help with pre hospital planning and provide a condensed medical history in the event of an emergency for this patient population. She enjoys working with medical students and residents to help them learn how to manage sick and acutely ill patients in their clinics. Dr. Beckmann is a strong advocate for patients and families and encourages follow up with their primary doctor after a visit in the EDTC.
- Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Pediatrics
Areas of Interest
- Emergency medicine
Education and Awards
- 1992, Chicago College of Osteopathic Med (Chicago, IL), DO
1996, Lutheran Gen Hosp (Park Ridge, IL) - Pediatrics
1999, Medical College of Wisconsin - Ped Emerg Med
- Best Doctors in America 2010, 2012
- Top Doctors- Pediatric Emergency Medicine 2012
- Outstanding Medical Student teacher 2009
- Teacher of the Year- Emergency Medicine Residency 2001
Research and publications
- OSCE Sexual History Taking Project, Learning Resource Grant, principal investigator.
- Patient At Risk: Wisconsin’s EIF Repository Program for Children with Special Healthcare Needs
- Principle investigator, Healthier Wisconsin Grant 2/ 2011- 6/2013
- Emergency department management of sexually transmitted infections in US adolescents: results from the National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey.
- Sexual-history taking in the pediatric emergency department.
- The effectiveness of a follow-up program at improving HIV testing in a pediatric emergency department.