Laurie A Newton, APNP
Laurie Newton is a doctorally prepared board certified nurse practitioner in both acute care and primary care. She has a particular interest in managing sinus disease, sleep apnea, and otitis media, as well as managing general pediatric ear, nose, and throat problems.
Laurie is involved in quality improvement initiatives both within the department of otolaryngology as well as Children’s Wisconsin as a whole. She has done extensive work on improving the overall patient care and experience for children undergoing tonsillectomy. She is also very interested in patient education and has worked on several projects aimed at improving the ways that ENT providers educate patients and families about treatment plans for the ENT patient. She works closely with the ENT surgeons to provide continuity of care for patients seen in clinic.
- Pediatric Nurse Practitioner
Areas of Interest
- Cerumen removal
- Foreign body in ear nose and airway
- Hearing disorders
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea
- Otitis Externa Swimmer Ear
- Otitis media
Education and Awards
- 2003, University of Wisconsin -Madison (RN), B.S.
- 2012, University of Wisconsin-Madison, DNP
- Lois-Moore Rogers Lectureship; Society of Otolaryngology Head-Neck Nurses, 2013
- Evidence Based Practice Award; Nurses Week, Children’s Wisconsin, 2013
- Advanced Practice Nurse Excellence Finalist; Children’s Wisconsin, 2012
Research and publications
- Improving postoperative care through the use of “teach-back,” principal investigator
- Health literacy and patient education
- Quality improvement initiatives in ENT, particularly related to postoperative care of tonsillectomy patients
Ratings and Reviews
Question rating breakdown