While it may seem easier and more efficient to do a Google search and find out how to treat various ingestions, oftentimes you could be receiving the wrong information. Most people don’t have the medical knowledge to sift through the vast array of resources online, so instead of getting the right recommendations, parents and other individuals may just be getting misinformation.
There is a lot of outdated information on the Internet including sites that still recommend using syrup of ipecac or activated charcoal to treat a poisoning at home. Since 2003, the American Academy of Pediatrics and the Wisconsin Poison Center have recommended neither be used for a poisoning in the home.
Rather than taking the time to figure out the correct term and type it into a search engine, contact the Wisconsin Poison Center at 1-800-222-1222. Not only will certified poison specialists answer your questions, they can provide a dialogue for you, asking you situation-specific questions about you or your loved one’s health history, age and weight — since all of those factors can make a difference in the right recommendation. They also will be able to make recommendations about whether you should go to a health care facility for further treatment or if you can manage this exposure at home.
They may provide related information or precautions. Through accurate and effective recommendations, poison centers are able to manage 86 percent of calls at home without a costly visit to the emergency department.
So, anytime a poison is ingested, inhaled or spilled — whether it’s your spouse, your child or your parent — poison center experts will tell you what to do next. Call the medical staff at the Wisconsin Poison Center at (800) 222-1222. They are always available 24/7/365 and are waiting for your call.