In this section
Wisconsin Child Passenger Safety Law and safest practices
Car seats, booster seats, and seat belts
The Wisconsin child passenger safety law states the minimum required. Most doctors and injury prevention professionals recommend "safest practices" to protect children in a crash.
- Choose a car seat based on your child's height, weight and age.
- Read all instructions to correctly install and use the car seat.
- Check the expiration date and know the history of your car seat before you use it.
- Use a car seat correctly on every ride.
- Children are more likely to buckle up if they see a parent or caregiver buckled up.
- Let others who drive your kids know that a car seat is a must.