In this section
Signs of problems in speech, language, and hearing
Children develop speech, language, and hearing skills at different ages. However, hearing loss can lead to delays in your child's ability to make sounds, learn to speak and communicate. Consult your child's physician if you are concerned about your child's hearing or speech or if you notice any of the following:
- No response to sound at any age.
- Infant does not move or jump when a loud sound is made.
- No babbling by the time the infant is 9 months old.
- No words spoken by the age of 18 to 24 months.
- Does not follow simple commands by 2 years old.
- Stuttering continues past 5 years old.
- Poor voice quality at any age.