In this section
Speech-language pathology student practicum program
Children’s Wisconsin’s Speech-Language Pathology department offers opportunities for speech-language pathology graduate students to complete full-time fall and spring practicum experiences and part-time summer independent study experiences to begin to apply the clinical skills that they have learned and to gain experience working in an academic hospital inpatient or outpatient setting.
Under the direct supervision of a licensed speech-language pathologist, the speech-language pathology student completes patient care activities related to evaluation, treatment, and care continuity for patient. The student participates in a 10-15 week experience (dependent upon university requirements) with approximately 40 hours per week completed in the clinical setting.
Under the direct supervision of a licensed speech-language pathologist, the speech-language pathology student participates in observation of a variety of patient populations and begins to lead evaluation or treatment sessions if appropriate. The student participates in a 6-8 week experience with 16-24 hours per week completed in the clinical setting.
Additional duties may include:
- Completion of patient documentation for co-signature with clinical supervisor.
- Collaboration with school or community providers to maximize patient outcomes.
- Participation on projects for the Speech-Language Pathology department.
Qualified applicants will have completed their first year of graduate school in a program with a signed affiliation agreement with Children’s Wisconsin by the time of initiation of the placement.
- January-May: Full-time position (approximately 40 hours/week)
- September-December: Full-time position (approximately 40 hours/week)
- May-July: Part-time position (approximately 16-24 hours/week)
- Day-shift hours with daily start times between 7:00-8:30, approximately 8.5 hour shifts
- No weekend hours
Interested applicants are invited to send application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org for review by the committee.
- Please write “Internship Application FirstName LastName” in the subject line of the email.
- Include the following attached in PDF format with your first and last name in the file name. Example: “Resume_firstnameLastname.pdf”
- Letter of Intent
- Unofficial Transcript/Record of coursework that will be completed by the initiation of the practicum
- 2-3 letters of recommendation (may be sent directly to email@example.com separately from other application materials)
- Fall Placement
- Applications due by March 1
- Interviews to be completed by April 1
- Decisions surrounding placement provided around April 15
- Spring Placement
- Applications due by August 1
- Interviews to be completed by September 1
- Decisions surrounding placement provide around September 15
- Summer Placement
- Applications due by January 10
- Interviews to be completed by February 10
- Decisions surrounding placement provided around February 20
In clinic observations
- Completion of an on campus observation is strongly recommended prior to or in tandem with the interview process. This will be arranged through the application process.
- The speech clinic does complete observations throughout the year. Due to the high volume of requests received, these are limited to one full day per student per revolving calendar year. Visit the observers/job shadows page for more information.
For additional information on our Speech-Language Pathology practicum programs, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.