In this section
Observers / job shadows
With education as part of our Children’s mission, we recognize the importance of student learning through clinical experiences. Job shadows are a way to observe the role of someone working in a field that interests you. Job shadows are available to either:
- High school students in grades 9-12 and over the age of 13 years old
- Students in professional health care programs and over the age of 18 years old.
A student interested in a job shadow is responsible for identifying the person in the role they want to shadow. This person is called your sponsor.
1. Locate a sponsor for your job shadow experience.
The best way to locate a sponsor is to talk to someone you know that works at Children's Wisconsin. If you don't already know someone at CHW, try browsing our program and clinics to narrow down your search. Contact the specialty that most closely matches your area of interest to inquire if a job shadow opportunity would be available. You may contact the main hospital operator at (414) 266-2000 and ask to be transferred to the area or location of interest. Some areas do not accept job shadows except under special circumstances, such as the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.
Please note: There is no guarantee that an employee or a unit/dept will be able and willing to host a job shadow.
Job shadows are set up on a case-by-case basis with the department you're visiting, but most experiences last for about 4 hours on a given day. You should discuss the observer/job shadow arrangement with your sponsor to figure out a time that works best for both of you. More information can be found in the Observer/Job Shadow Policy, which is the first four pages of the job shadow paperwork.
2. Complete the Job Shadow Agreement Form and submit all required documents prior to beginning the observation. A minimum of 3 weeks or more is recommended.
- Download the form.
- Use this PowerPoint to complete page 7 for a Milwaukee campus job shadow.
- For all other experiences, please complete page 7 with your sponsor.
3. Health Requirements - The following health documentation must be submitted with your paperwork.
- Proof of immunity to Rubella, Rubeola, and Mumps, regardless of age.
- Documented history of two MMR's OR
- Documentation of positive Rubella, Rubeola, and Mumps titre
- Proof of non-exposure to tuberculosis (TB)
Documented IGRA (Interferon Gamma Release Assay) test performed in the last 12 months with negative results or documented TB skin test performed in the last 12 months with negative results.
- If TB skin test positive, you must have a documented report of a negative chest x ray with annual TB symptom survey.
- Proof of immunity to Varicella:
- Documented history of 2 Varicella vaccines
- Positive Varicella titre
- Documented history of 2 Varicella vaccines
- Proof of annual (seasonal) influenza vaccine.
- If experience is between April 1 and September 30 (outside of the current Influenzaseason) observer is exempt from this requirement.
- If experience is between October 1 and March 31 (within the current Influenzaseason) observer must be vaccinated prior to program participation.Documentation of Influenza vaccine must be within the current Influenza season.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination and booster doses at recommended intervals by documentation ofreceiving 2 doses in a 2-dose series (such as Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna) OR receiving a single-dosevaccine (such as Johnson & Johnson).
- Documentation of COVID-19 vaccination per required dose interval.
NOTE: The day before the job shadow, all observers must self-screen for any active symptoms (like cough, fever, runny nose, etc…) and for any recent exposure to any communicable disease (like Chicken Pox, Measles, COVID, Flu, etc...) before arriving for shadowing/observation. Observers should follow the same infection prevention measures that are recommended for Children’s staff. Talk to your Sponsor for more details before coming for the job shadow or if rescheduling is needed due to symptoms or exposures.
4. Submit your paperwork to the correct department for processing.
Please see the chart below to determine what pages of the paperwork to fill out and who will process it.
Once it is confirmed that your paperwork is complete, you will receive information about picking up an observer badge.
|The employee I will be shadowing is a:||Send forms to:|
Physician or Professional Healthcare Provider (PHP)
Children’s physician or credential PHP (Professional Healthcare Provider):
Provider Support Services
Job Shadow Team (Educational Services)