In this section
Respite foster care
Respite foster care is temporary child care which is provided in your home. It is a vital support service to full-time foster parents and other families. As a respite foster provider, you have the option to care for children according to your schedule and availability.
Requirements for respite foster care providers
Respite foster parents can be single, married, divorced, or partnered. You can rent or own a house or apartment.
- Be 21 years of age or older
- Have sufficient income to support your own financial obligations
- Undergo background checks, home study and assessment process
- Possess sound judgment and positive parenting skills
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Have renter's/homeowner's/vehicle insurance
- Have appropriate bedroom space for foster child(ren)
- Have a physical examination completed by your doctor (this is required for each household member)
- Complete the required pre-license education
Respite foster care application process
We encourage you to attend an information meeting to learn more about the respite foster care program.
To apply for a respite foster care license download the application form. Return the completed form to Amy Basting.
- Email: Abasting@childrenswi.org
- Fax: (414) 453-2538
- Mail: Children's Wisconsin Community Services
620 S. 76th St. Ste. 120
Milwaukee, WI 53214