In this section
Building for kids
Milwaukee Campus Improvement Project
Children's Wisconsin has kicked off a multi-year, $385 million facilities improvement project that will support our vision of having Wisconsin children be the healthiest in the nation.
The project is designed to enhance clinical collaboration and efficiencies, improve the child and family experience, and support the use of new technologies. It includes:
- A six-story, 237,000-square-foot addition to house specialty clinics and Surgical Services
- Renovation and expansion of Surgical Services
- New and expanded Emergency Department and Level 1 Trauma Center
The addition is located between the north side of the hospital and Children's Clinics Building. The first floor will feature 12,500-square-foot that includes space dedicated to Child Life, food service, and outpatient lab. Patient families are involved in designing the new spaces to support our focus on the child and family experience.
Children's current operating rooms are located on two different floors in part of the hospital built in 1988. The new design places all of Surgical Services in new or renovated space on one floor. This will dramatically increase operating efficiency and improve the patient family experience.
The area devoted to surgical services will increase by more than 25,000 square feet and includes 15 operating rooms and three special procedure rooms. The average size of an operating room also will increase to accommodate future advancements in surgical technologies.
Take a tour of our new surgical area
Children's Emergency Department and Level 1 Trauma Center will be expanded and moved to the front of the hospital to improve access, the child and family experience and care.
When completed, it will expand from 34 to 48 treatment rooms, including the four rooms dedicated to mental and behavioral health needs and state-of-the-art trauma and resuscitation rooms. Additional space will support advanced imaging capabilities.
- Open in 2021
- Additional ambulatory services opening in fall 2021
- Construction begins – late 2018 or early 2019
- Construction complete – 2021
- Surgical Services will remain fully operational throughout construction
- Site preparation begins – spring 2021
- Construction begins – early 2022
- Construction complete – late 2023
- The Emergency Department will remain fully operational throughout construction
Starting June 26, 2021 for approximately seven months, the main entrance of the Milwaukee campus hospital will be closed. Use the Clinics 1, Clinics 2 or skywalk level entrance. Follow the posted signs to help you find your way. Please allow for extra time before your next appointment. Refer to this map.
Children’s Wisconsin to move and expand Emergency Department.
Download your free version of Building for Kids - A Children's Wisconsin picture book.
See architectural renderings of the Milwaukee Campus Improvement Project.