G-tube care team members

The most important members of your care team are you, the parent, and the caregivers. As a parent, you know your child’s needs better than anyone. Your role on the care team is to:

  • Share information about your child
  • Ask questions
  • Actively learn about the care your child needs 

You will want to identify other support people in your family and community. They will help you as you learn to care for your child and prepare to come home.

The team members listed below will work with you and the caregivers during your child’s hospital stay and after your child goes home. Not every child will need the services of every team member. If you feel your child needs to see a team member, talk to your nurse or doctor.

Attending physician   

This doctor will lead the health care team and direct the care of your child. One of the attending physicians from the gastroenterology or surgery department will be your child’s primary attending physician.

Pediatric resident

A pediatric resident is a doctor who has graduated from medical school and is training to become a pediatric doctor.

Nurse practitioner (NP) and clinical nurse specialist (CNS) 

A nurse practitioner and clinical nurse specialist are nurses with advanced education and experience in the care of children. They work closely with the attending physician to provide and coordinate care for your child. They do physical exams and procedures, and manage medicines.

Bedside nurse

This nurse helps care for your child after the G-tube is in place. They work in the hospital and they will teach you how to manage the G-tube before you leave the hospital.

G-tube resource nurse clinician

This nurse is specially trained to care for the special needs of children in the hospital who have a G-tube.

Nurse clinician or clinic nurse

The nurse clinician or clinic nurse plans and gives nursing care to your child in the clinic setting. They work closely with the attending physician. They answer questions and help families get the right resources as needed.


A dietician makes sure your child gets the nutrition and vitamins he or she needs. They will help you develop your child’s feeding plan. If you have concerns about your child’s nutrition, ask your nurse to contact a dietician to talk with you.

Clinic assistant and patient care partner

A clinic assistant and a patient care partner are nursing assistants trained in basic nursing skills. They work under the direction of a registered nurse.

Nurse manager and supervisor

A nurse manager or supervisor is responsible for directing the operation of the clinic and hospital units. They supervise the nurses and clinic assistants.

Integrated case manager and discharge planner

This nurse helps coordinate your child’s discharge needs. This includes working with the home care company to order needed supplies to help manage and care for the feeding tube. They work closely with you, the health care team and the home care agency or pharmacy.


A chaplain can help your family with spiritual needs. If you would like to meet with the chaplain, tell a member of your health care team.

Child life specialist

A specialist is available to help your child cope with difficult procedures and his or her feelings about the illness and the hospital. They can also help your child select activities to make the time at the clinic or hospital more pleasant.

Clerical staff

This team provides support services in the clinic and the inpatient unit. They can help you with scheduling appointments and phone calls, and they serve as a connecting link among members of the health care team.

Family centers

Many states have family centers. These centers are helpful in finding information and referrals.

Occupational therapist

An occupational therapist can help your child improve function with daily activities. This may include dressing, bathing, eating, writing and more.

Pain management team

This team helps develop a plan for pain control. They work in the hospital and in clinics to help with acute and chronic pain.

Palliative care team

This team specializes in helping families provide comfort for their child through pain management and better quality of life.

Physical therapist

A physical therapist can help your child maintain strength. If needed, they can develop an exercise program for your child.


A psychologist can help you and your family deal with the stress and other emotional issues related to your child’s illness and/or hospitalization.

Rehabilitation (rehab) care team

This team helps families and children that are challenged by disabling conditions. In addition to coordinating care between providers, they focus on improving a child’s ability to move, eat, learn, grow and develop. They do this by using special equipment, therapies, medicines and community resources.

School staff

The schoolroom is staffed with qualified teachers from the local school district. These teachers work with you, your child and their teacher at school. They help your child keep up with his or her class work while ill.

Social worker

Specially-trained to help patients and families find resources such as individual and family supportive counseling, resources for financial concerns and more.

Speech-language pathologist

A pathologist works with your child to monitor safe and efficient swallowing. They help with speech and language skills as your child learns to eat and communicate.


Volunteers are able to spend time with your child in activities such as playing or reading.