In this section
Financial Assistance Policy
The Financial Assistance Policy at Children’s Wisconsin outlines the general guidelines for providing assistance to patients and families. It addresses the most common situations that may happen. It is not intended to be all inclusive.
Some highlights of the policy include:
- All patients younger than 21 whose primary home is in Wisconsin will be considered for financial assistance for needed medical care.
- Adult patients who live in Wisconsin and need care for conditions best treated at Children’s Wisconsin also may be eligible.
- No patient will be denied financial assistance because of his or her:
- Immigration status
- Financial assistance will be provided to any families who are determined to be unable to pay all or part of billed charges. This includes co-payments, co-insurance and deductibles.
- Discounts (up to and including free care) are available at all Children’s Wisconsin locations, including the hospital in Neenah and Children’s Surgicenter for eligible families.
- Financial assistance will be given after insurance coverage, government assistance programs and other benefits available to the patient have been explored and used.
- Non-compliance with insurance policy guidelines (for example, appeals, referrals, non-authorized services) or failure to pursue available government assistance programs before requesting assistance may prevent participation in the Children’s Financial Assistance Program.
- Children’s Wisconsin will provide care for emergency medical conditions to anyone.
- All income in the patient’s household will be considered when determining ability to pay. This includes gross wages, government payments, pensions, child support, unemployment compensation, car accident or personal injury payments, and any other payments that are considered income by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service.
- A letter will be sent to let the patient know if the application is approved. If financial assistance is denied, an appeal can be filed with the Patient Financial Services Department.
Access appointment information and medical records, manage prescriptions, and message your child's doctor. Visit MyChart.