Caring for children with esophageal achalasia

Learn how our Gastroenterology, Liver and Nutrition Program cares for children with esophageal achalasia.

Related tests and treatments:

Our approach to esophageal achalasia

As one of the largest and busiest Children's Wisconsins in the nation, our team has extensive experience treating children with extremely rare conditions, including esophageal achalasia. At Children's Wisconsin, children with esophageal achalasia have access to GI motility experts, feeding specialists, speech pathologists, and aerodigestive experts if the condition has caused pulmonary complications. This multidisciplinary combination of services and specialized care help us achieve the best outcomes for our patients.

Doctors at Children's are also actively involved in research related to esophageal achalasia, including research into potential new treatments.

Esophageal achalasia services we offer

Children's offers the latest diagnostic options and is one of the few pediatric hospitals in the country that uses high-resolution manometry to diagnosis esophageal achalasia. It offers advanced endoscopic procedures, including esophageal dilation, as well some of the best pediatric surgeons in country.

Diagnosing and treating esophageal achalasia

Doctors can diagnosis this condition with several tests, including a barium swallow test (also known as an upper GI series) that allows doctors to see inside the esophagus using X-rays, an esophageal manometry test to measure pressure inside the esophagus, and an upper endoscopy (EGD) that uses a light and small camera to examine the shape of the esophagus.

To treat esophageal achalasia, your child's doctor will first try esophageal dilation to stretch the esophageal muscle so food can pass through. If that is not effective, patients might require surgery.

Make an appointment

To make an appointment, call our Central Scheduling team or request an appointment online.

(877) 607-5280

Request an appointment

Haga clic aquí para ver esta página en español

Need assistance?

From out of town? The Access Center can provide assistance in coordinating appointments, insurance, etc. Use our online form or call: (414) 266-6300.