In this section
Walk-in mental health care
Our mental health walk-in clinics offer same-day care for children and teens (ages 5-18) experiencing urgent mental health issues. The clinics are designed to offer an alternative to traditional urgent care and emergency room services.
Craig Yabuki Mental Health Walk-In Clinic (Milwaukee)
- Monday – Friday: 3 to 9:30 p.m.
- Saturday and Sunday:12 to 6:30 p.m.
Kenosha Mental Health Walk-In Clinic (Kenosha)
- Tuesday - Friday: 1 to 6:30 p.m.
If your child is experiencing an emergency of any kind, please call 911 or go straight to your closest emergency room.
No appointment needed – reserve your spot in line
When visiting our mental health walk-in clinics, you can choose to reserve your spot online ahead of time and then wait at home until it's your time to be seen or we offer a limited number of walk-in appointments. Please know that by selecting a reservation time, this is reserving your place in line with an estimated time to be seen and it is not an actual appointment. Make a reservation.
Symptoms we care for
A child should be seen at our clinic if they experience new or worsening symptoms of:
- Feelings of anxiety, stress or panic attack
- Trouble focusing
- Loss of appetite or feelings of isolation
- Mood disorders
- Hyperactivity or attention issues
- Lack of interest in family or social activities
- Difficulty sleeping
- School avoidance
- Suicidal thoughts
Services we provide
- Evaluation to determine any immediate safety concerns
- Brief intervention through temporary, on-site counseling and coping tips
- Coordination of care with the child’s existing care team (pediatrician, school or other providers) to ensure everyone is aware of the child’s needs
- Referrals to helpful resources following the child’s clinic visit, including follow-up care, if needed
Our clinics are not able to support the following
- Medical emergencies, such as a child who has an altered mental state or is actively suicidal. If your child is experiencing a medical emergency, call 911 or visit the closest emergency room.
- Medication changes
- Laboratory services
If our mental health walk-in clinics are not open and your child cannot wait until the walk-in clinics open, additional options may be available:
- Call your child’s pediatrician or call our Children’s Wisconsin Mental and Behavioral Health Access Team at (414) 266-3339
- Our Mental and Behavioral Health Access Team is available 8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Monday - Friday.
- Visit the emergency room on Children’s Milwaukee campus, or an emergency room closest to you.
Planning your visit
- No appointment is necessary.
- Wait times will vary based on daily demand.
- All children and teens must be accompanied by an adult in order to be evaluated. Consent must be provided from legal guardian in person or by phone.
- Please bring your insurance card and contact information for your child’s school, primary care provider and outpatient mental health providers.
- If your child takes medication, please have names and dosages available.
- Insurance coverage for this service depends on the individual’s insurance provider.
If you feel your child needs psychiatric inpatient care, please contact the inpatient facility directly.
Learn more about our mental and behavioral health services.