Your child's health care team

Your child may meet many new people while he or she is at the hospital. Below you'll find a list of who some of them are and what they do.


Consulting physician: A doctor who specializes in a specific area. This doctor may be asked by your hospitalist or primary doctor to help diagnose and treat your child.

Attending physician: The doctor who will oversee the medical team and your child's care. This may be your own private doctor or a doctor you will meet for the first time at the hospital.

Pediatric hospitalist: A pediatrician who works in the hospital. He or she works with your child's primary care provider.

Pediatrician: A doctor who is trained to give medical care to children.

Primary care provider: The doctor (or nurse practitioner) your child sees for checkups and sick visits. This may be your pediatrician.

Medical student, resident or intern: Most children also have a medical student and a resident or intern assigned to them. We are proud to be a teaching hospital, helping train pediatricians, nurses and other professionals. The hospital is affiliated with the Medical College, many schools of nursing and other professional education programs.


Advanced Practice Nurse: A pediatric nurse practitioner has a master's degree in nursing, is certified in his or her specialty, such as pediatrics or family practice, and has received additional training to provide a wide range of services for patients. Advanced practice nurses:

  • Perform physical exams
  • Order lab tests and X-rays
  • Diagnose and treat health problems
  • Prescribe medications

Certified Pediatric Nurse: A certified pediatric nurse has taken a certification test and received professional recognition of specialty knowledge in the care of children.

Inpatient case manager: A nurse who works with our patient families and health care team to coordinate discharge. He or she can help you find services in the community. Our inpatient case manager works with your family's insurance company to ensure continued authorization and payment for hospital stay.

Registered nurse: A nurse who is educated and licensed by the state to provide health care and teach about health, the body, medical terms and medications.

Children's Wisconsin is a Magnet-designated hospital. We have earned the nation's top nursing honor from the American Nurses Credentialing Center. That means our nurses are among the best.

Other caregivers

Dieticians: They provide nutritional counseling and recommend meals for patients.

Inpatient case managers: They work with patient families and the health care team to coordinate discharge. They can help you find services in the community. The inpatient case manager communicates with the patient family's insurance company to ensure continued authorization and payment for hospital stay.

Care partner: A person who helps nurses check things like temperature, blood pressure, height and weight.

Chaplain: Chaplains provide spiritual guidance to children and their families.

Child life specialist: A person who helps children and their families cope with the health care experience by explaining what will happen and why using words your child understands. A child life specialist may use play and other age-appropriate activities and education to help your child get ready for medical procedures.

Dietician: A person who specializes in food and nutrition. They evaluate a child's nutritional needs and help families plan for dietary changes.

Health unit coordinator: A person who can answer your non-medical questions. A HUC can be found at your unit's front desk.

Lactation consultant: A person who gives breastfeeding education and support to nursing mothers.

Social worker: A person who is educated and licensed to help families deal with issues related to having a child who is sick or injured. Our social workers can help you with community referrals and financial resources that can provide your family with support and necessary services.

People from laboratory, Imagining (Radiology) and other areas of the hospital also may involved in your child's care.


Physical therapist: A therapist trained to improve a patient's movement, balance and coordination.

Occupational therapists: They help children learn and improve daily living skills.

Respiratory therapist: A therapist trained to evaluate and provide treatment to children with breathing problems.

Speech therapist: A therapist trained to help children with speech and swallowing problems.

Make an appointment

To make an appointment, call our Central Scheduling team or request an appointment online.

(877) 607-5280

Request an appointment

Haga clic aquí para ver esta página en español

Go to MyChart

If you are a registered user or have an access code you want to use, go to MyChart.
Go to MyChart

Children's Compass

Children's Compass Icon 

Children's Compass is a free app that helps you find your way around Children's Wisconsin's Milwaukee campus and provides you with valuable information for your stay.