In this section
72 hours after
- Take 4 walks in the hallway.
- Spend as much of the day out of bed as possible.
- OT will let you know if/when goals are met.
- PT may have your child work on stairs. Therapist will let you know if your child is safe for discharge.
- No napping after 3pm to help your child sleep at night.
- Eat several small meals/snacks throughout the day.
- Drink as much water, sport drink, juice as possible so IV fluids are not needed.
- Continue medications for constipation.
- If loose or frequent stools, we will adjust constipation medicine.
- Scheduled oral ibuprofen & acetaminophen (Tylenol).
- Valium (diazepam) scheduled to treat muscle spasm.
- Oxycodone as needed for pain
- Plan to pick-up prescriptions at Skywalk Pharmacy today. Your home pharmacy may not have liquid pain medication or may not have enough medicine available to fill your prescription.
- Lab comes to draw blood, so we can check blood counts.
- If your child has a drain tube, it will be removed today.
- We will plan to change the bandage today. We will make sure you are comfortable reinforcing edges if they roll up.
If things go well, you may be able to go home this afternoon!
About our orthopedic care
Meet Dr. Thometz and learn about our Orthopedic Program.
Our nurse triage team is available Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. to assist with appointments and referrals.
It's important to know what your options are. We can provide expert opinions to verify or give more information about an initial diagnosis. Contact the Spine program today.