In this section
For medical professionals
Herma Heart Institute partners with medical professionals across the world to bring the highest quality fetal, pediatric and adult congenital heart care possible to patients.
We maintain consistently high survival rates for all children undergoing heart surgery, including the best rates worldwide for treatment of hypoplastic left heart syndrome (HLHS). We pioneered the country’s first Developmental Follow-up Program with practices proven to boost outcomes and long-term function among pediatric cardiac patients. Learn more about the Herma Heart Institute's outcomes and programs by the numbers.
Cardiac resources for referring physicians
Cardiology care guidelines
- Our downloadable PDF-format patient information sheets, are written by staff and updated regularly.
Recorded CME webinars
Professional education resources
- Herma Heart Institute quality, outcomes and research annual report: Read our 2021 report and learn how our investment in research translates into the care we provide.
- Herma Heart Institute overview: Discover the robust programs and services available at the Herma Heart Institute.
- Pediatric Heart Failure and Heart Transplant Program overview: Learn about the subspecialties and treatment options available for children with heart failure.
- Basics of pediatric pulmonary hypertension by Edward Kirkpatrick, DO
- Revolutionary new options for patent ductus arteriosus in premature babies by Todd Gudausky, MD
- Monitoring heart transplant rejection with a blood test
- Innovative approaches to pulmonary hypertension by Edward Kirkpatrick, DO
Latest cardiac research
- Learn about our latest efforts, ranging from surgical outcomes to the genetic causes of congenital heart disease to long-term quality of life.
Surgical ready reference
- Pediatric Heart Surgery - A Ready Reference for Professionals by L. Eliot May, PA-C, provides caregivers with easy-to-understand references for quickly reviewing the basic anatomy, pathophysiology, surgical techniques and postoperative considerations for many common congenital defects.
- Our cardiology fellowship provides superior training experience in one of the nation's premier pediatric cardiology, cardiac surgery, and cardiovascular research institutes.
- Our adult congenital heart disease fellowship offers training in one of the of the largest adult congenital heart disease programs in the country.
- In partnership with the American Heart Association, we offer a summer research experience to college undergraduates.
Physician consultation line
Staffed 24 hours a day.
- Refer a patient
- Discuss a case
- Arrange a transport
- Direct admission
Toll-free: (800) 266-0366
Make a referral
Find helpful forms and phone numbers for making a referral to a specialty clinic at Children's Wisconsin.
Arrange a transport
A physician-led, clinical team is available 24 hours a day for transports to Children's from across the country.Start Arranging Your Transport
Quality, outcomes and research report
View our 2021 report and learn how our investment in research translates into the care we provide.View report