In this section
More than 80% of concussions will resolve within 3 to 4 weeks. However, slightly less than 20% of student athletes will have ongoing physical, cognitive, emotional, or sleep/energy symptoms well beyond 3-4 weeks.
- In cases of longer lasting symptoms, or multiple injuries, we may recommend a "combined" concussion appointment with one of our neuropsychologists and sports medicine physicians who specialize in concussion.
Combined concussion appointments:
- The neuropsychologist will complete neuropsychological testing (brain function testing). This helps us to gain more information on any cognitive deficits and determine objectively where the student/athlete is in their recovery.
- After results are scored and a diagnosis formulated, the neuropsychologist corresponds with the physician who follows up with additional medical recommendations.
- Because neuropsychological testing is in such high demand, a few things should be understood:
- A combined appointment typically takes 4 hours to complete.
- The student/athlete will likely miss some school for this testing.
- It is typical for neuropsychologists to book out several weeks or months in advance.
- The insurance approval process can be slow so please be aware your appointment may need to be rescheduled.
- To set up this combined appointment, please contact our Concussion Line at (414) 337-8000. Combined concussion appointments are only offered at our Greenfield Clinic.
To help ensure that we provide the best care for young athletes and families, Children's Wisconsin offers a special Concussion Line (from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday). We will promptly answer your questions or concerns. A licensed athletic trainer monitors and answers the Concussion Line. You can leave messages at anytime. We'll quickly return your call.
Children's Wisconsin provides concussion awareness information to the community. Order our free concussion awareness wallet card.
What parents need to know about Wisconsin's concussion law. Read the story on our blog - NewsHub.