In this section
Sports medicine physical therapy
Children's Wisconsin offers sports medicine physical therapy services for active kids and teens. We specialize in sports-related orthopedic acute, chronic and overuse injuries.
Each clinic provides therapy within a 3,000-square-foot gym equipped with state-of-the-art and sport specific equipment including basketball lane, pitching and batting nets, plyometric, speed and agility space, squat racks and weight training equipment. Focused therapy programs help kids return to their sports and recreational activities by emphasizing:
- Competitive performance
- Concussion recovery
- Dry needling
- Manual therapy
- Manipulation/mobilization techniques
Conditions we treat
- Sports injuries
- Pain and decreased mobility
- Fractures and acute traumatic injuries
- Pre and post-surgical care
- Gait and postural abnormalities
- Chronic pain and dysfunction related to previous injury
- Comprehensive ACL rehabilitation
- Idiopathic juvenile and adolescent scoliosis – conservative and post-surgical management
- Acute and chronic neck and back pain
- Spondylolysis and spondylolisthesis
- Radicular pain including nerve and disc injury
- Growth and overuse related injuries
- Brain injury and concussion
- Multidisciplinary collaboration with Children’s Wisconsin specialty teams including therapies, psychology, neurosciences, sports medicine, and orthopedics
- Therapeutic exercise targeting mobility, stability, balance, flexibility, and strength improvements
- Sport specific rehabilitation including return to sport assessment, injury prevention techniques and performance enhancement in our state-of-the-art sports rehabilitation clinics
- Manual therapy techniques including soft tissue mobilization such as therapeutic massage and myofascial release, joint and spine mobilization and manipulation, trigger point dry needling, and neurodynamic mobilization
- All-inclusive approach to pain management including education on the neuroscience of pain, modalities such as ultrasound, hypervolt percussion massage, electrical stimulation for pain relief, kinesiotaping techniques and a holistic approach to other factors affecting pain such as sleep hygiene, nutrition, ergonomics, physical activity, and wellness
- Comprehensive post-concussion rehabilitation addressing vestibular, physiological, and cervicogenic complications and guidance towards a safe return to school, activity and sports
Meet our physical therapists
To request an appointment with a sports physical therapist please call central scheduling:
Request a speaker from our orthopedics and sports medicine team.
Growth plates: Why choose us?
If growth plates don't heal properly, it can lead to long-term problems.
About orthopedic surgery
Watch Dr. Lyon discuss pediatric orthopedic surgery at Children's Wisconsin.
Why pediatric experts are best equipped to treat growth plate fractures in children.