In this section
At Children's Wisconsin, our occupational therapists work with infants, kids and teens to develop and restore the skills needed for everyday life.
Conditions we treat:
- Orthopedic injuries and conditions
- Hand and finger injuries
- Feeding and swallowing problems
- Brain injury and concussion
- Developmental fine motor delays
- Genetic disorders
- Neuromuscular conditions
- Connective tissue disorders
- Spinal cord injury
At Children’s, our occupational therapists collaborate closely with medical teams from sports medicine, orthopedics, neurosciences, primary care, psychology and physical medicine and rehab. Treatment plans are developed based on the mutually-agreed upon goals of the child, parents and medical team.
- Activities designed to help build skills for activities of daily living such as feeding, dressing, grooming, bathing and toileting
- Development of fine motor skills to help with small, controlled movements used in activities such as handwriting
- Neurodevelopmental handling techniques to facilitate muscle activation and motor patterning
- Play-based therapeutic activities to support function in a child’s natural environment
- Custom splinting and serial casting to protect, position, and improve extremity function
- Guidance and fitting for durable medical equipment including wheelchairs, orthotics, and bracing
Concussion and Brain Injury Rehab
- Awareness to vestibular, cervicogenic and physiological considerations allow patients to return to prior levels of function safely and effectively
- Custom made orthotics and rehabilitation for non-surgical and post-surgical finger hand/elbow injuries
Neurodevelopmental treatment (NDT) techniques
- Therapeutic handling and movement analysis to facilitate motor patterning and functional improvements
- Including advice on lifestyle changes, exercise prescription, wrapping and compression techniques
- Involving intensive training for patients with limited motor function in one extremity
- Go Baby Go provides kids with developmental delays a safe and fun way to practice independence
Our occupational therapy facilities were designed specifically for kids and teens. These light and airy treatment spaces are equipped with colorful and engaging tools and toys that simulate everyday living. Outpatient occupational therapy is available at Children's regional clinic locations at Delafield, Kenosha, Mequon and New Berlin.
Meet our occupational therapists
Request an appointment
- To make your child's appointment, call Central Scheduling at (414) 607-5280
Teaching Sheets are written by Children's staff and include the most important information for families to know when caring for their child. Access the teaching sheets.